CLIENT
The client was very loyal and passionate about their profession, colleagues and clients, but had philosophical differences with their employer. They had an option to pursue a different role in a different organisation (albeit in a similar profession / context) but each option presented different challenges and opportunities.
SESSIONS
The initial coaching conversation provided an introduction and context. Later client was invited to make the summary case for each option. It quickly became manifest from the summary that they had a very strong preference for one option over another, but which until that moment they had not consciously accepted. The client had started the conversation with a dilema over two options, but but ended it as a foregone conclusion. A subsequent coaching conversation further explored the implications of the choice, which later become a decision.
REFLECTIONS
The coaching conversation is often about creating a safe space and being a sounding board for the client to think, reflect, challenge and rehearse. It does not have to be goal orientated to be useful. In this context it was about facilitating a process. Beyond that the client was capable of the next steps without further assistance from the coach.
The client later offered the following testimony feedback
I have really enjoyed working with Tim for a few sessions. After the chaotic 2020 we have all experienced, the thoughts in my head felt like the insides of a tumble dryer. I knew I had the solutions for some of the challenges I was experiencing, I just couldn’t tease them out. Speaking with Tim helped me to unravel some of the strands of my thinking and follow them through to identify several potential options as well as talk through the role I play in each scenario. Having someone listen without judgement and ask inciteful questions was invaluable at the time that I needed it the most. I have recommended him to others.
IMPORTANT NOTES
The Coach engages in training and continuing education pursuing and/or maintaining ICF (International Coach Federation) credentials. All coaching conversations are confidential and the abbreviated case above has been amended so as to protect the anonymity for the client whilst providing evidence of coaching practice, reflection and learning, for the purposes of ICF education, supervision, or oversight.
All coaching engagements follow ICF Policies and Principles Resources, Terms and Conditions https://www.adaptconsultingcompany.com/coachingtoolkit/client.php